Sunday, January 29, 2012

Peace

Just got back from church and had to jot this down quickly before I forgot (because it was a great message and I hope I can come back to it later to remind myself). The sermon was focused on obtaining peace, and essentially the way to having peace of mind is to let go of all worries and fears, and placing trust in God. To those that are unfamiliar with Christianity, this may seem like an overly simplified statement. Heck, even for a believer like myself this commandment seems simplified. But I guess that's part of the beauty of it all, the simplicity of letting go of one's worries and trusting in the bigger plan. If you are interested in reading the verses, they come from Matthew 6:25-34.

I felt that the message was really relevant and appropriate on a personal level, because I worry A LOT. I definitely have a type A personality and tend to be a perfectionist at times. Yes, I was that kid in high school who thought failing was getting below 100. But medical school has definitely humbled me. All I care about now is passing (ok that's sort of a lie, cause I do try to honors or at least high pass all my classes) and actually learning the material so that I can become a good physician. And I realize that this fear of failing my classes definitely consumes me at times. What's the point of worrying though? It doesn't do me any good, nor will it allow me to solve the problems. The pastor stated that in order to achieve peace, we need to focus on the present and to stop dwelling on things that have happened in the past, or things we cannot control in the future. We have to trust that God will provide in the end. And it's true. When I look back at the times that I've worried myself to death, I realize that everything turned out fine. I guess all it takes is a little perspective.

So therefore, even though I have a quiz tomorrow for a system that I am struggling with (renal) I know that I have done my best at learning the material and that there's no point in stressing. Hopefully this feeling follows me the following week when we have three exams in one day....

On a separate note, just wanted to post this http://imgur.com/bVD9p

No comments:

Post a Comment