Thursday, March 1, 2012

Are you kidding me....?

Yesterday I read an article that definitely ticked me off. It can be found here:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bonus-withdrawal-puts-bankers-malaise-050100338.html

When I think of a disaster, the last thing that comes to mind is having a salary of $350,000. Perhaps I have to put things in perspective and shouldn't be as annoyed by these people who are complaining that they've had to "cut back", but I just don't understand how people can be complaining about that salary. I guess it just angers me even more because growing up, my family faced a lot of financial hardships. As Korean immigrants (initially illegal), my parents couldn't really get decent jobs, so they were forced to work in small businesses. I think the average income of both my parents combined was around $20,000 (that might even be a lot) and we got by. Sure there were many frustrating times and I was forced to work at a relatively young age, but I think in the end, I learned the valuable lesson of hard work and appreciation.

Do these people even deserve to get paid $350K? I know that in the future, as a physician, I will definitely be making more then the average American, but the amount of time, work, and (loan) money that physicians put in seem to justify that, no? In fact, there have recently been a lot of reports of physicians who are having difficulty paying off their medical school loans and making a decent living. Somehow it doesn't seem right that physicians, who are essentially saving people's lives, are getting paid less that businessmen, who, in my opinion, aren't making the same impact on society. Again, I should put things in perspective and see it from the other side but that's just how I feel at the moment.

1 comment:

  1. It's criminal. I work in higher education in the business and finance division and a lot ot of the salaries I see should be illegal. Perhaps it's our youth because my older co workers don't seem to think so

    ReplyDelete