Saturday, September 28, 2013

Fourth year life is amazing!

Considering how much time I have right now, I'm surprised I'm not blogging more consistently. My medicine sub-internship for a month (which got me excited to start residency) came and went, followed by a month of studying for step 2, a month of research elective, and now I'm on an easy elective that consists of lectures for ~3 hours/day. So...yea fourth year life is pretty awesome! I guess it's easier to just write about things topic by topic again. I swear I'm gonna have to update more frequently so that I can just talk about one topic at a time!

Residency Applications/Interviews

So I submitted my application the day it opened (9/15) and ever since then, I've been anxiously checking my email for interview invites. I guess it's still a little early because the dean's letter don't go out until 10/1, but a lot of programs have sent out invites. I've managed to get one so far but I guess I'm still nervous that I won't get much. I ended up applying to 33 programs, which I heard is overkill for internal medicine, but the logic behind applying to so many programs is that that I'm basically applying to all the top programs in the regions I want to live (nyc, boston, SF, LA, SD, chicago) plus a couple of programs in smaller cities, and I'm afraid I won't get many interviews! I stupidly only applied to 2 "safeties" but I don't know, I just couldn't see myself going to a community program in smaller cities. I hope this doesn't backfire =/. I mean I know I'm not AOA, but I am in the top quartile (not really sure how that happened) and I think my board scores are pretty solid (just got step 2 this past week and I was really surprised, in a good way). I did do some research and was very involved in school activities. Ok I'm just rambling but I guess I'm trying to justify to myself that I belong in some of the top tier programs. And if I don't...then I'll find a program that I'm happy with! Ok that's enough talk about things that get me anxious haha.

Dating?
Oh god, I'm sure people are sick of hearing the same old stories. I guess given the fact that I have more time now, I've been going on more dates. But I still haven't been able to start a relationship. I think I need to go to therapy or something. After a couple of dates, I tend to always find things that tick me off about the other person and I fixate on them. Maybe I'm making things up subconsciously because I suck at commitment? I mean I'm not going around sleeping with random people or going on multiple dates a day, but I haven't been able to find someone that I can commit to. Also, the more I date around, the more I'm realizing that I'm more attracted to "bros"/a guy's guy. I've gone on dates with a couple of "divas" and...yea I don't know, something just really annoys me. Maybe I'm being too superficial about this. Dating has also been more difficult because I don't know where the hell I'm going to be next year for residency! Maybe after March 21st (match day!) I'll be able to seriously date haha that's wishful thinking.

And I'll end a post with an update on my physique. Not the greatest picture but yea, it's relatively recent. I've finally been able to hit 160 lbs, and aiming for 170. I didn't know gaining weight was this difficult! I literally stuff my face throughout the day. I've also been working out very consistently because of all the free time I have! I'm thinking trying out crossfit...but I'm a little nervous because I'm pretty injury prone due to my shoulders. Anyone have experience with crossfit?

6 comments:

  1. Nice to hear from you and glad things are working so smoothly. Goodluck on finding a program you will like. And even if it's not your first choices, it's a place to start and you can move around later.

    As for your physique . . . damn! You are looking better than ever. That bicep is especially impressive. You must be a go-getter to be able to handle med school and still work out so much.

    As for dating, you have so much going for you, you should be picky and find the right guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping there's a program out there that wants me haha. I'm not really a go-getter, but I do like to take care of myself.

      Delete
    2. Hopefully where ever you end up, you will make the best of the opportunity. It's a stepping stone -- you may not know yet where you want to live for an extended time, and it's really to get your foot in the door and live some real experiences.

      My brother is a surgeon and he wanted to stay where we live for his residency but there just were not enough positions. Instead he trekked off to Las Vegas, did his residency, got certified then came home and it doing really well now.

      So just because your dream position does not come along the first time, don't despair.

      Delete
  2. Residency
    Lol! Don't be excited to start residency. It's a grind. Enjoy M4 year, it doesn't get much better than that. Applying to 33 programs may be overkill, but if you're applying to the top programs than it probably isn't. Aim for like 10-12+ interviews and you'll be solid. Check out the document, "Charting the NRMP" or something like that. It'll give you statistics about each specialty that'll be useful.

    Dating
    Yeah, it's hard. A lot of the guys in my area are super flaky, it's hard to meet up for dates (on what little time I have). It's borderline infuriating. When you meet "the one" you'll know. Or so I've heard.

    Dang dude! All that working out is showing! What's your routine? How tall are you? I'm aiming to slim down to like 160 lbs, but pretty sure that's gonna be a really hard thing to do. >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yea I'm enjoying M4 as much as possible but I am looking forward to actually work in the real world. I'm aiming for 10 interviews...so I need more at this point haha.

      And I'm following a plan on bodybuilding.com called "Get Swole". It's pretty awesome. And I'm 5'9

      Delete
  3. I just think your a Beautiful Man!! Love the picture of your great body, and love the smile you have on your post......that smile...you must of been enjoying what i was doing down below your awesome chest in this photo....lol Take care Doc. JR

    ReplyDelete