Monday, November 26, 2012

Can't believe it's almost December!

So third year is almost halfway done....can't believe it went by so quickly! I'm currently on my emergency medicine rotation, and I thought I would have liked it more than I do. I guess a part of it is getting used to the flow of the emergency room and the fact that we only have 2 weeks on the rotation (8 shifts). It also doesn't help that we have to get an evaluation from an attending/resident every single shift. Why can't I just learn without being evaluated all the time?!

I did get some good news today, ended up getting an honors in my Medicine rotation! I was pleasantly surprised cause that rotation was hard as hell, some residents/attendings gave me average evaluations, and the shelf exam was seriously harder than any exam I had ever taken (I think harder/more random than step 1). I'm still waiting for my ambulatory (primary care) grade, and obviously I'm hoping that I get an honors there too. I guess I'm pretty stoked cause most of my grades in second year were just "pass" and I think my strengths lie in talking to people/interacting with people rather than studying and taking exams that determine my entire grade. I still have 3 more core rotations to go through so let's hope that the momentum carries over.

Since the last time I wrote, I also had a great date with a guy. The only thing is, I have no idea where things are going with him. He actually came over to my place for our first meeting (yea I know, pretty bold) but as soon as we sat down on my couch, it just felt incredibly comfortable, like I've known this guy for much longer. We did end up fooling around a little bit even though I told myself to take things very slow...but I guess we just got caught up in the moment. The thing that sucks is that both our schedules are so busy that we haven't been able to meet up again. We do still talk, but not as much as we used to and I guess I'm just afraid that he's lost interest (cause I sure haven't). I hate getting my hopes up though, and even though I would love to have this guy as my future boyfriend, I know that relationships take a lot more work than just two people liking each other. It also doesn't help that he lives pretty far. Oh well, I guess I'll see how it goes (and prevent myself from getting too attached, which is what usually happens).

I hope everyone had a great thanksgiving break! I think I took ~3 naps on thanksgiving day, and it was glorious! I've never slept that much in a long time. It was nice to just relax and enjoy good company with my family while eating great food. Unfortunately, my break got cut short cause they scheduled me to do two ER shifts this past weekend. Sorta sucked cause I had a lot of plans with friends from back home, but what are you gonna do? I've also been hitting the gym a lot more lately. I gave in and started taking creatine cause I feel like I've hit a plateau and haven't been able to gain anymore weight after hitting 150-155 pounds. This is what my body looked like a month ago (warning, another tool picture coming up)-->
Hopefully there will be some changes in a couple of months!

Alright, until the next update!

12 comments:

  1. You have a hot body. Feel free to keep sharing "tool" pictures with us. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing your progress. :)

    Congrats on getting honors. 3rd year was definitely frustrating because of having to play the game but it can also be a great time to turn things around and shine. I was always really annoyed with one of my best friends because he slacked like all of the first two years but he honored everything third year just cuz he had a good personality. It was quite impressive actually haha.

    Lastly don't give up with the new guy too easily. I think a big prob with dating a new guy is one expects the other to make the move so then no one ends up making contact and it's assumed the other guy lost interest. So at least try to be a little persistent about setting up a second date at least especially if the first one seemed to go well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! Hopefully there is some progress...
      And yea, I wouldn't say I slacked off the first two years, but I also didn't study all the time (I was the social chair so I organized parties instead lol). I still don't like how subjective third year is, and I feel like students who really suck at the clinical stuff end up getting good grades cause they suck up well. Eh as long as I'm focused on what I'm doing I guess that's all that matters.
      Yea I will still be pursuing stuff with this guy. I just hate playing the game! I'm worried that he might think I'm too clingy or that I come off as too desperate/attached so yea.. I just wish I could tell someone I like him without all these worries!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on doing well on medicine! I was like, a couple percents away from the next highest grade because the shelf single-handedly brought my grade down (it's always them damn shelf exams). >_<

    I hear ya regarding the guy. It's so hard to coordinate time to hang out and have good dates when you're busy all the time and you don't own your own schedule. That gets better somewhat during M4 year. If you really like him, keep at it and don't give up (yet)!

    And you do have a hot body. If only you could see my jealous eyes right now. I have the opposite problem as you - I can't seem to lose weight unless I severely (and miserably) restrict my diet and workout (which I don't have the time/motivation to work out sufficiently). It'd be nice to get down to 150-160 or so . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea that shelf was insane, I ended up passing the threshold for honors by a few points.
      I really can't wait till I'm a fourth year (minus all the worries/concerns about applying to residencies haha). I feel like all the fourth years are enjoying life right now.
      And thanks! Sorry if posting the pic makes me seem douchey/cocky, def not trying to make others jealous on here lol. I am grateful that I have a good metabolism (for now). Just wish I could gain muscle more easily!

      Delete
    2. M4 year is definitely nice. I've got this time I'm not entirely sure what to do with, lol. Once the hump of ERAS applications and interviews are over, it's pretty much downhill.

      I wish I had a good metabolism (like my brothers). Bleh.

      Delete
  3. You are way more than a hot body. Still, it doesn't hurt to have that as another tool of attraction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! hopefully my metabolism doesn't decide to slow down anytime soon.

      Delete
    2. I am asian too. Do you find that it is harder being gay and asian? Asians have a particular focus on close family ties and continuation of the family line -- I wonder if you feel extra pressure because of that? Altho some asians do look at a gay son as a silver lining -- there will be a male offspring to take care of the parents if you don't ever marry (often it is assumed the girls will do this, married or not). But in this day of greater acceptance, that may no longer be a good assumption.

      Delete
    3. I do feel like it may be harder to come out in an Asian household (although I think it's hard to come out in any household). The good thing is, my parents are pretty liberal and not your typical Asian American parents when it comes to holding strict, traditional beliefs, but I guess I'm just avoiding the conversation in general. And I don't think my parents would ever turn to me to take care of them when they're older. I also want a family of my own so yea haha.

      Delete
  4. With recent developments and advances for equality, it's easier for young gay guys to aspire to want families. I'm older than you, so back when I was your age, in college, just getting starting, having a family did not seem realistic. But it's getting easier and more acceptable today. So don't let society hold you back from pursuing your dreams in an open way. I suspect if you provide your parents with grandchildren, they won't care so much that you are gay because the family line continues. And being a doctor provides them with a lot of status -- asians like that too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea I remember that talk too they're all about making you anxious about residency. Sounds like you're not doing too bad this year though. I think the worst part is worrying about getting letters of rec so start early if you can.

    A little bit early but I saw this interesting article on statements. Something good to keep in mind. http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1389854

    Well keep us updated on your new guy. At least you setup some boundaries for the next date, although maybe you guys will be too horny to keep clean by the end haha. And of course we'd always appreciate some visual aids on your gym progress. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good article, I enjoyed it. What the author described (and disliked) is basically how my friend applying IM wrote his personal statement. I wrote mine with a particular personal flair - so many interviewers asked me about my personal statement and/or my activities (and thank goodness, as my grades and Step 1 score were all rather mediocre).

      Two program directors outright told us that they selected candidates for interviewing based on the personal statement and activities alone (assuming one passed all his/her rotations and passed Step 1).

      Delete