Saturday, May 5, 2012

Super short vacation

So amidst all the chaos of school/finals, I had the opportunity to go to Seattle this past weekend (I'm still here) for a research conference where I was able to present a poster. I arrived here during the day on Thursday, and I'm taking a red-eye flight out in a couple of hours (already dreading it). It was my first time in Seattle so I just wanted to write a quick reflection of my short time here.

I definitely can't see myself living in Seattle for the main reason that it rains too much here. I usually get affected when it rains for consecutive days, so I'm surprised that all these Seattle residents are OK with the rain that seems to occur most of the year. I do think it's a great city to travel to. The people I've encountered here have been really friendly, and I guess I just love the fact that people are able to walk everywhere and places are easily accessible by public transportation. Perhaps I'm just saying this because one has to drive everywhere in Stony Brook, but regardless, I know that I need to live in a city where there are people roaming the streets.

Since I was limited with my time here, I ended up just walking around and going to different coffee shops, since Seattle is known for their coffee, and visiting the supposedly famous Pike's Market. The crowd in Seattle also surprised me because there seems to be a mix of people from different crowds. On the same street, you will encounter businessmen, young students, hipsters, homeless people, and of course tourists. I also noticed that the guys here are also very good looking and seem to be in good shape, which is always a plus.

I'm hoping I'm able to visit Seattle again in the near future and see more of it but I'm glad I had the opportunity to experience a glimpse of it (and the good looking guys). Tomorrow, it's back to reality because I have three finals this coming week, and then on Thursday, it's boards study time for the next five weeks. I'm hoping I can survive the 12-15 hour/day study schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment